Houston Car Accident Lawyer
Auto accidents are one of the leading causes of death and serious injury in the United States. If you’ve been seriously injured in a car accident, you may be facing the long-term repercussions of an ongoing injury from neck or back pain, broken bones, or even something more catastrophic such as traumatic brain injury.
It’s not unusual for injuries to not fully surface until days after a motor vehicle accident. It’s important that you receive medical attention as after the wreck as possible to protect your health. It’s equally as important to contact an experienced Houston car accident attorney to protect your rights and to help you recover damages for your injuries. The accident attorneys at Attorney Brian White & Associates have years of experience fighting for victims of car wrecks in Harris County and will do everything in our power to get you and your family a fair and just settlement.
Call us now for a free consultation! Do not let the insurance company take advantage of you!
- We offer a free, confidential and no obligation consultation!
- If we accept your case, you pay us nothing unless we recover money for you
- Get a former insurance company defense attorney now working on YOUR side! We know the tactics they use and we won’t let them get away with it!
Houston Car Accident Resources
- What are the benefits of hiring a Houston Car Accident Lawyer?
- How to Choose the Right Car Accident Attorney in Harris County?
- How Much do Lawyers Charge to Handle a Car Accident Case?
- How do Settlements for Car Accidents in Texas Work?
- How Soon Should You Call an Attorney After an Accident?
- What Are The Most Common Injuries in Motor Vehicle Collisions?
- What Are The Most Common Causes of Car Accidents?
- Types of Car Accidents in Houston
- What Are The Most Dangerous Intersections in Houston?
- Fatal Car Accidents in Texas
- Request a Free Consultation from a Houston Car Accident Attorney
What Are the Benefits of Hiring A Houston Car Accident Lawyer?
Often injured parties hesitate to call an experienced Houston car wreck lawyer because they believe most insurance companies will settle their claim in good faith. Unfortunately, that is seldom the case, and increasingly, even in smaller claims, where there are no serious injuries, insurance companies delay, deny or defend against paying insurance claims. When they do offer to settle a claim, their initial offers can be less than an injured person’s medical costs. The insurance companies only have their own interests in mind when settling cases. Unless you are represented by an aggressive and knowledgeable accident attorney in Houston, you may end up paying some of the costs for your injuries and damages yourself.
We will fight for your right to recover the full benefits you need and deserve. Whether you have been injured by a drunk driver, someone making unsafe lane changes, speeding or any accident where someone else was at fault, we can help.
How to Choose the Right Car Accident Attorney in Harris County
Choosing the right car accident lawyer isn’t just a question of getting a referral or looking in the phone book. In order to find the right attorney, you will have to do a bit of research. The last thing you want to do is to put your case in the hands of an unqualified law firm. Three things to look for when selecting the right attorney to handle your Houston car accident case are:
- Litigation Experience: Finding an accident lawyer with litigation experience will drastically improve your chances of resolving your case successfully. Many attorneys prefer to settle cases outside of the courtroom, and some will do anything to avoid trial even if that means settling for a lowball price. Finding an attorney that is not afraid of the courtroom and will apply pressure on the insurance company and adjusters will result in larger payout for your injuries. Before becoming an injury attorney, Brian White defended large corporations and insurance companies against personal injury lawsuits. He understands the sophisticated defense tactics that the insurance companies use to deny injury victims their right to compensation.
- Personality & Accessibility: When choosing a lawyer, it’s important that you work with someone you like! Some cases can go on for years and it’s smart to choose someone who makes you their number one priority. At our office, our clients always come first. In addition, it’s important to be able to get a hold of your attorney at any time to get status updates on your case or to answer any questions you may have. We hear many complaints about accident lawyers who do not call their clients back in a timely fashion. At our office, we make it a goal to call each and every client back the same day. Communication is an important part of every relationship, including the one you have with your attorney.
- History of Past Results: It is important that you hire a lawyer who has a history of winning motor vehicle accident cases. While past results can never guarantee a future outcome, you still want a lawyer who has a track record of getting great recoveries for their clients. At Brian White & Associates, that’s exactly what you get.
How Much Do Lawyers Charge to Handle a Car Accident Case?
In Texas, most accident lawyers handle cases on a contingency fee basis, which means you only pay the attorney for their services if they are able to recover money for you. If they don’t recover money for you, then the law firm will not charge you for their services. The great thing about the contingency fee structure is that you don’t need to pay anything up front to hire the attorney so anybody, regardless of financial status, can afford to hire a lawyer to handle their car accident case.
How do Settlements for Car Accidents in Texas Work?
Settlements are usually paid by the insurance company in one lump sum. Out of that amount, a percentage will be paid to the accident attorney for their services, medical bills will be paid, existing liens are paid (if there are any) and the remainder will go to the client for pain and suffering. At Brian White & Associates, our attorneys will try and get as large a settlement as possible to account for all past, present and future expenses related to your accident.
How Soon Should You Call an Attorney After an Accident?
If you or a family member was injured in a car accident, you should contact an attorney right away. First, you will want to have any evidence that supports your claim preserved. Second, the statute of limitations is 2 years as it relates to car accidents in Texas. You don’t want to wait until the last minute so call our office today.
Common Injuries in Motor Vehicle Collisions
Car manufacturers thoroughly test cars and include some of the most innovative safety measures in the history of automobiles. However, no amount of safety equipment can keep occupants safe from injury in all crashes.
- Neck Injuries. The soft tissues of the neck, including the muscles, tendons, and ligaments that support the head, are the most likely to suffer damage in even minor accidents. Neck injuries can result in pain and stiffness, headaches, difficulty sleeping, inability to turn the head, and shoulder or arm pain. In severe cases, damage to the neck can affect the spinal cord, causing numbness or tingling and possibly even paralysis.
- Head and Brain Injuries. A car accident produces forces that cause unnatural movements in the occupant. Even people wearing seat belts may find their heads slammed into side windows or the steering wheels of cars. Loose objects in the car may slam into the head, and foreign objects from outside may crash through the vehicle, striking the head and causing injuries. Damage to the skull can result in lacerations and blood loss, even foreign objects fracturing or penetrating the skull. When the head violently strikes an object, the brain may crash into the inside of the skull, causing damage. Concussions are one type of traumatic brain injury that result from these types of injuries. Victims may suffer severe headaches, migraines, sensitivity to light or sound, difficulty concentrating, and problems with memory. More severe traumatic brain injuries can result in difficulty with fine motor control, making basic tasks such as daily hygiene or feeding oneself difficult or impossible.
- Chest Injuries. The weight of the body thrown against a seat belt can cause severe bruising and pain to the shoulder, waist, and chest of passengers. Drivers are more likely to suffer severe chest injuries when the accident throws them against steering wheels. Bruised or broken ribs can result from an accident, which can lead to punctured lungs or other organs and potentially deadly internal bleeding.
- Limb Injuries. There is little room for movement in the passenger compartment of a car. In an accident, the arms, hands, legs, and feet may become trapped as the force of the accident crushes the vehicle. Bruises, cuts, and scrapes can be painful if not seriously threatening. Fractured bones occur in these situations, often requiring months of recovery and medical care.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents are so common, we come to think of them as a part of life. However, people could avoid most accidents if all drivers took reasonable precautions to ensure the safety of those with whom they share the road.
- Speeding Drivers Cause Most Crashes. Speeding is the cause of more accidents than any other factor. Drivers who either failed to control their speed or drove at an unsafe speed caused over 46,000 accidents in 2016. Drivers have less time to react and require more time to stop when driving too fast. Speeding can be either driving over the legal posted speed limits or driving too fast for the road or weather conditions. A driver who causes an accident through speeding is negligent in his or her duty of care for other drivers.
- Failure to Make Safe Lane Changes Can Be Deadly. Almost everyone has made an unsafe lane change at some point. A driver thinks the next lane is clear and begins to change lanes, only to have his or her attention caught at the last moment by a honking horn. Unfortunately, in many cases, a failure to safely execute a lane change results in an accident causing serious injury or death.
- Distracted Driving Still Causing Thousands of Crashes. Many companies and public service groups have made great gains in educating the public on the dangers of distracted driving in recent years. Lawmakers have enacted laws and police officers have cracked down on those who endanger other motorists by using cell phones and texting while driving. Because of these efforts, fatalities from distracted driving have gone down in recent years. However, the hundreds of deaths and thousands of crashes involving distracted drivers in 2016 show we still have many drivers who are careless in keeping their attention on the road as they drive.
- Failure to Obey Traffic Signals a Real Hazard. Stop signs, traffic lights, and other traffic control measures facilitate the flow of traffic safely. Drivers who are negligent in observing and obeying these signals create a hazard to everyone on the road with them. Negligence in properly obeying traffic signals results in many injuries and fatalities each year.
- Poor Vehicle Maintenance Can Be Deadly. Cars are incredible machines capable of driving thousands of miles across the state with only a few stops for fuel. Safe driving requires a car’s tires, breaks, suspension, and many other areas to receive regular maintenance and repair to function properly. A poorly maintained car may not stop at a safe distance or may lose control in an emergency. Drivers who fail to properly maintain their vehicles negligently cause accidents that injure and kill hundreds every year.
Types of Car Accidents in Houston
- Rear-End Collisions. You stop at a red light and a vehicle slams into the back of yours. This can cause pain in your neck and back, and possible injury to your head, arms, or worse. The rear-end collision often takes place because a driver is not paying full attention to the road. He or she may have been distracted by a cell phone, adjusting the radio, or just not paying attention. In almost all cases, the rear-end collision is a result of negligence on the part of the driver who rear-ended the other vehicle.
- T-Bone Accidents. A T-bone accident occurs when one car runs directly into the side of another vehicle. This commonly occurs at intersections where a car fails to stop for a red light or a stop sign. In other cases, a car pulling into traffic from a driveway may fail to observe the vehicle crossing his or her path and crash directly into the side of a car. The occupants of the vehicle on the side of the crash are the most likely to suffer injuries in a T-bone accident. At high speeds, the T-boned vehicle may roll over, causing life-threatening injuries.
- Head-On Collisions. A head-on collision often takes place on two-lane roads when a vehicle drifts into oncoming traffic. The combined momentum of both vehicles results in horrific crashes with often fatal consequences. Head-on collisions may result from fatigued drivers nodding off at the wheel, distracted drivers unaware they have left their lanes, or drivers unsafely attempting to pass other vehicles.
- Sideswipe Accidents. Sideswipe collisions take place when two vehicles are traveling parallel to each other and one or both vehicles swipe the side of the other. Often this can cause one or both vehicles to lose control, resulting in crashes with other vehicles or running off the road.
- Intersection Collisions. Intersections are some of the deadliest places for accidents and see more crashes than any other accident scene. Crashes at intersections often occur when one vehicle is turning in front of oncoming traffic. Another common intersection collision occurs when a vehicle cuts the corner in a turn, colliding with vehicles outside his or her lane. Intersection collisions often result from a failure to heed traffic signals, or to obey traffic signs controlling turn lanes.
Houston’s Most Dangerous Intersections
Were you injured in one of the most dangerous intersections? This table below shows some of the most common accident hotspots in the city, according to a study our law firm recently conducted.
|City||Street #1||Street #2||Crashes||Injuries||Deaths||Score|
|HOUSTON||BISSONNET ST||SAM HOUSTON PKWY||335||263||0||1124|
|HOUSTON||HARDY RD||SAM HOUSTON PKWY||280||164||0||772|
|HOUSTON||SAM HOUSTON PKWY||WESTHEIMER RD||233||173||0||752|
|HOUSTON||MAIN ST||SOUTH LOOP||206||147||1||657|
|HOUSTON||GREENS RD||IH 45||176||156||0||644|
|HOUSTON||MAIN ST||SAM HOUSTON PKWY||166||154||1||638|
|HOUSTON||BEECHNUT ST||SAM HOUSTON PKWY||189||136||0||597|
|HOUSTON||SAM HOUSTON PKWY||WESTPARK TOLLWAY||147||117||0||498|
|HOUSTON||HAMMERLY BLVD||SAM HOUSTON PKWY||119||116||1||477|
|HOUSTON||IH 45||SAM HOUSTON PKWY||156||104||0||468|
|HOUSTON||SAM HOUSTON PKWY||VETERANS MEMORIAL DR||174||98||0||468|
|HOUSTON||CLAY RD||SAM HOUSTON PKWY||124||105||1||449|
|HOUSTON||HARWIN DR||SAM HOUSTON PKWY||128||106||0||446|
|HOUSTON||ANTOINE DR||SAM HOUSTON PKWY||126||98||2||440|
|HOUSTON||FM 1960||TOMBALL PKWY||147||94||0||429|
|HOUSTON||GREENS RD||JOHN F KENNEDY BLVD||99||105||0||414|
|HOUSTON||BELLAIRE BLVD||SAM HOUSTON PKWY||155||86||0||413|
|HOUSTON||SAM HOUSTON PKWY||W LITTLE YORK RD||108||101||0||411|
|HOUSTON||CHARTRES ST||MCGOWEN ST||86||86||1||354|
|HOUSTON||IH 45||RANKIN RD||122||74||0||344|
You can see a map of all of Texas and more information on our study of the most dangerous intersections in Texas here.
Fatal Car Accidents in Texas
The Texas Motor Vehicle Traffic Crash Highlights illustrate that 3,377 people were killed in car accidents in Texas during 2013, a number that is noticeably higher than the rest of the country. While this number has decreased from staggering highs only a decade ago, it is still the highest in the country, and fatal car accidents continue to occur on a daily basis. About 767 of people killed in car accidents were killed at intersections, while 1/6 were killed in head-on collisions. Furthermore, 1/3 of all people killed were involved in a fatal car accident in which a driver was under the influence of alcohol. A little more than half of all fatal car accidents occurred in rural settings.
Fatal car accidents occur for a number of reasons. The top two factors for fatal car accidents in Texas involve speeding and the influence of drugs or alcohol. Many times the victim was simply at the wrong place at the wrong time, and the victim’s family is forced to continue their life without an integral part of their family. However, as a member of the victim’s family, you have the right to bring suit against the person who was the cause of the accident.
Family members can bring a wrongful death suit in a fatal car accident case, and are entitled to damages for mental anguish, lost wages, and loss of consortium. No amount of a settlement will ever bring back your loved one, but it will work to restore justice and begin the healing process.
If you have lost a loved one in a wrongful death car accident, contact accident lawyer Brian White to determine what rights you have and the amount of compensation you may receive as a result of your loss. Fatal car accidents are all too common in the Houston area, and you need to preserve your rights. Brian White has years of experience fighting for victim rights, and can ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. The loss of a family member is a devastating, life-altering event, and Brian White can assist you in getting the justice you deserve.
Request a Free Consultation from a Houston Car Accident Attorney Today
Before becoming a Houston personal injury attorney, Brian White defended large corporations and insurance companies against personal injury claims. He understands how and why injured parties are denied their rights to just compensation by the use of sophisticated defense tactics. He pursues an aggressive strategy by using the foremost scientific, forensic, and medical experts to prepare your case for settlement within one year of your injury, or go to trial if it becomes necessary. If you are wondering if you may have a case, please contact our law firm today. We are ready to help!